In order to have a business that will operate independently of the owner you need to capture what the business does and how it does it. This is knowledge management.
It is the vital step to capturing the intellectual property (IP) of the business. It is also the vital step to preparing a business to sell.
We have developed specialist skills in:
- Mapping business processes
- Procedure writing
- Writing standard operating processes
- Developing templates and checklists
- Developing knowledge bases (eg www.pikb.co.nz) – this was a project that we designed, managed and built for the New Zealand Transport Agency and replaced a large manual with a process based knowledge base. This now has hundreds of users from all over the world using it on a monthly basis.
We can carry out all aspects of a project like this:
- Facilitating the process mapping workshops
- Developing the style guides
- Documenting the processes
- Facilitating the validation process
- Designing and building the knowledge base
- Writing and critiquing procedure, templates and checklists
- Loading content
- Project managing the whole project
Our affiliate company, KBased, has developed a tool to build and host knowledge bases: www.kbased.com.